Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Eve

A time of love, a time of peace, and for preachers, a time of high pressure. I remember at a previous appointment, it was my first Christmas Eve there. They had never had a Christmas Eve service. They told me, [they were joking, sort of] "if you want to stay here another year, we are going to have a Christmas Eve service at our church."

Christmas Eve is the time that the most visitors visit the church. More so than on Easter, Christmas Eve is the time when people are looking for a church. I remember when I used to deliver all of the mugs, we were still in the old building, I think we had 25 families visit. That was as many as we had at that time in the previous 6 months.

So, if you are a preacher, you know what I am talking about. Lots of expectations. Everybody has their extended family with them, and there is always someone who says, "hey preacher, I am bringing my mother to Christmas Eve service, and it better be good." So if you are a preacher, you need to find some quiet time today and tomorrow before the service. Listen for the voice of the angel. Listen to the Silent Night. In spite of the hurry and scurry, it is still there.

Speaking of pressure, my brother Dave O is leading his first Christmas service at the new church, the Beacon UMC. That service is tonight at 6pm at the SAC in Independence, 17800 Holke Rd. Please come out tonight to support our new church start.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: