Sunday, December 6, 2009

sunday morning

The Sunday Morning gig. Since I only work 1/2 day a week, I thought I might tell you what I do on Sunday morning.

Wake at 545. Pray. Shower. Dress. Make a pot of coffee. Collect pile of stuff to take to church. Drive to church, listen to "Religion on the Line" on 710am radio on the way. Park out by the dumpsters. Walk thru the deer and the cold to the east door.

Unlock east door and turn on lights. Open my office and fire up the computer. print the sermon. Go make a pot of coffee. Turn on the WCTV TV's. Adjust volume. Open office and turn on copier. Check mail.

Go back to office. type blog. Answer any emails that must be answered on Sunday morning. Review sermon. Line by line. Does it make sense. God is this is? [it tends to be a bit late for that question, but you always have to ask it.]

Go get a cup of coffee. Meet with media person. Discuss slides and scriptures to post during sermon. Go thru check list to leave office and go to sanctuary. Things that I must not forget: Bible, pen, sermon notes, props if any, water bottle if needed, baptismal certificates if any, new member cards if any, prayers, keys, Rolaids, halls, and a name tag.

Go to sanctuary at 740. Sound check. Pray for all who will sit in the pews that day. go over bulletin to make sure I have all the announcements ready.

Shake hands before 8am. Lead service. Preach. Service over, shake hands, bathroom, water fountain. Back to sanctuary for 905. Shake hands before service. Lead service. preach. Service over, shake hands, bathroom, water fountain. Back to sanctuary for 1010. Shake hands before service. Lead Service. Preach. Service over, shake hands, bathroom, water fountain. Back to sanctuary for 1115. Shake hands before service. Lead service. Preach. Service over, shake hands. Often a baptism at 1215.

Back to office. put stuff away. Drive home. On the way home, thank God for the awesome opportunity of being able to share his love with others. Lunch and a nap. 6 1/2 days off, then we do it all over again next Sunday.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

7 comments:

Sharon said...

You don't really get 6 1/2 days off--who are you trying to fool?

There might be people out there in cyber space that believe that, but I don't. I see you at WCC many times throughout the week--you may not be preaching, but you're working in some capacity. I see you having short meetings with people, I've seen you planting stuff on the property and I know you do funerals and weddings. And that's just what I see--I can only imagine other work related things you might be doing. And, from what I read in your blog, you don't even sleep that well--your brain won't let you.

The way I see it, as long as you're breathing, you're working. Go ahead, try to convince us that you only work one half day a week and then you take a nap.

Sha, right! ; )

Anonymous said...

Should we be concerned that you didn't mention "washing" your hands after the trips to the bathroom?

H4EO said...

It was a good 1/2 day for my family. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Yeah...we knew it. That is all you do. :) xoxo

Anonymous said...

Funny, I just had no idea you only worked on Sundays. I thought you worked during the week too. I must be mistaken.

So grateful you are so good at your 1/2 day job.

Tonia

Anonymous said...

Amazing how one pastor can get so much accomplished in 1/2 day each week and then have the other 6 1/2 days off. You really have it figured out, Jeff!! Honestly, we are blessed to have you working over time each week for all of us! You are awesome! kb

Anonymous said...

thanks for praying for those in the pews... one of those secret things that people don't know, so important.