Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I used to go to church

There are tons of people out there with this story.........

I used to go to church. But I quit. The word quit may be a bit strong. I gradually leaned away. I got tired of all of it. There was something at the place that just was not clicking. Too many power struggles. Too much humanity, not enough God. Judgement and rejection at the house of grace. Pretense. Oh, I hated the pretense. It became more painful to go, then to stay home.

I used to go to church. They got away from the spirit. Everyone seemed to be going through the motions. They put God in a box. If you didn't agree just right with the prevailing thought of the day, you were scorned. For having a different opinion. At the place where I expected to find love, I found too many other things.

Well, this year, I am thinking about going back. I think about it every year during the Christmas season. I think about sneaking in and finding a place to sit anonymously. I wonder if it will be different than what I remember. I wonder if the people that I meet will be nice to me. I wonder if the pastor's message will be filled with love and grace or something else.

This year, I think we will try that one church on the hill. You know, the one with the green roof. I have a few friends that go there and I hear that it is a good place. I have been disappointed so many times in the past, I sure hope that we will be welcomed, and that we will find God there.

This is the story of so many. If this is your story, come on in and give the church with the green roof a try. See if God's love is still at work in the world.

If this is not your story, please be aware that there will be hundreds of folks at church on Christmas eve that this is their story. Greet them. Welcome them. Seek out the stranger. Let the warm glow of Christ's love pour out of your face. Be a part of the ministry of reconciliation.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just the kind of message Jesus would have posted. So glad you let him do it through you.