Friday, May 14, 2010

dream

Tuesday and Wednesday our staff was at a retreat at Wilderness Camp in Lawson, MO. Sometime in the night or early morning, sleeping in a sleeping bag on one of those camp hard plastic mattresses, I had a dream.

In my dream I was in the bath tub. Kris Bartman came in. [it's ok, we are both boys]. He said in a tone that got my attention, "get a towel and stand up." I wanted to comply, but I was trying to process what he was saying. He repeated his words, "get a towel and stand up."

I stood up and grabbed a towel. Standing next to Kris was my Dad. Not the 72 year old, barely able to walk Dad, but my Dad when he was about 60. He still had the smile, the ornery, the hope.

Dad, dad, what? What is this? I pulled up his sleeve to check for the scar on his bicep. It was there. I showed it to Kris. Dad, how can this be? He told me that he had been forced by circumstances to fake his death. He had been living in suburb not far away and had married a woman names Sara.

Now they say that dreams only last for 20 seconds or so, but I have to tell you, this one seemed to go on for hours. I loved it. It was like being in heaven. I don't think that the dream really means anything, but I sure did enjoy spending the time with my Dad. When I woke up, I had a feeling in my heart that you only get when you are close to someone that you love. It was awesome.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Totally awesome. ; )

Anonymous said...

I've twice dreamed of talking with my grandparents who have been long dead...You honestly feel like you have had a visit with them beyond the grave...

Anonymous said...

Any maybe you did.