Friday, May 28, 2010

my ministry

My ministry. I heard a pastor say it the other day. We have done such and such in "my ministry." "My ministry" focuses on such and such. My ministry has been successful. My. My. My. Me. Mine.

Ugh. It makes me cringe. I just want to pop the people that say this. Let me rant for a minute.

Pastor, it is not your ministry! It is the ministry of Christ! It is not about you, it can never be about you and it cannot sound like it is about you. To the degree that you make it sound like it is about you, the work of Christ is hurt.

True ministry points past the person doing the ministry, to the object of the ministry- Jesus. It is a great privilege that any pastor has to be in the ministry of Christ. It is a privilege, not a right. It is not my ministry. It is the ministry of Christ. I just get to help for a while, and so do all of you.

Ok, that's all. I am done with that, until the next time that I hear someone say it.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

H4EO said...

Thank you for reminding us all.

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Jeremy V. said...

Amen!

Mark Hughes said...

Jeff, I think you are dead on when it comes to this. Many pastors have forgotten that they are merely participants in what Jesus has already done and continues to do. It is not a right or a responsibility to be an ordained minister--it is a privilege!

Keep up the good work and have fun at Annual Conference. ;)