Sunday, May 9, 2010

new member

An interesting story.

I happened by someone's house yesterday. I did not know that they were not a member because I don't keep tabs on all of that. I don't see my job as trying to get members as much as it is helping people along in their Christian walk.

So there are about six woods chapel friends there at the house and we are out talking in the garage. Someone mentions that this person wants to join the church, now, today. They have been attending for nine years and they want to join. I figure since they have attended for nine years, I can waive the new member class.

Usually we have people come up to the front on the third Sunday of the month, but for shy people, if I have a witness, we go ahead and receive them in a private ceremony. That is what this person wanted.

So, we celebrated her commitment to the church. We celebrated that we don't twist arms. Then we asked her the questions. Do you profess Jesus as Lord and Savior. Yes! Will you be loyal to the United Methodist Church and support it by your prayers, presence, gifts, service and witness? Yes!!

We prayed. We prayed that she would find friendship and comfort through us, and that God would call her to serve and show her the place to give herself away. Amen. We hugged. Hugs all around. It was cool. A really cool spontaneous thing. A nice thing to happen on any Saturday.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, this is so refreshing. This story would have made the parables in Jesus' time. However, it is still Jesus' time, and the story is being told in Heaven.

Anonymous said...

Awesome.