Saturday, May 29, 2010

getting older

Now, I understand that getting older is all relative. If I am younger than you are, you may not think I know about growing older. I talked to a 23 year old the other day who complained about getting older because there was nothing to look forward to any more.

Regardless of your age, we are all getting older. When you stop getting older, there is a funeral in your near future.

So, here is my point, as another birthday looms on the horizon for me, I am thinking about getting older. Changes in my body. Changes in how I feel. Changes. And you know, it is not as bad as I thought it was going to be when I was young. I actually enjoy some of the benefits of being older.

Like what? Well, I don't worry as much as I used to. I have learned and retained a great deal of information. I know a ton of people. I have oodles of life experience that I can apply to the decisions that I make. I can be an encouragement to others. I know what it is like to raise a kid from birth through college [almost].

When people comment on how old I am getting, I like to say, "well, I hope that you get to be 52 some day." After all, it is a privilege, not a right.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's why newborns cry when they enter the world. They know they are getting older. I like this saying I heard, from a lady attending a funeral.

Everyone gets to come, but no one gets to stay.