Monday, February 7, 2022

the waif


I was working a job in Springfield.  There was a large trailer that I was pulling around.  It was 6:30 AM

and I was going out to get in the truck to drive to the job. It is dark.  Early morning dark.  It is also cold so I have all of my winter gear on. 

I’m around behind the SUV checking the trailer and this person comes around the front of the vehicle and starts talking to me. It scared the Doodoo out of me. I feel panic. I am assessing the threat. This is unusual. What is this about?
It’s a small, thin woman and she’s not really making sense. I ask her what this is about. She finally helps me understand that she wants $3 to buy a pack of cigarettes.   I gave her five dollars.  Then she wanted a ride to the store.  I took her there.  I waited in the car and then drove her back to the hotel which is a block away. 

It is hard for me to tell but there is something "off" about her.  Is she slow?  Is she on drugs?  In addition to her pack of cigarettes, she bought a tall boy beer.  I dropped her off at the hotel and gave her 20 bucks.  Her name was Christine.

I tell you this story because I want to combat the attitudes that say "don't give them money, they will only buy beer."   That is exactly what she did, she bought cigarettes and beer.  So what?  This poor woman doesn't function like a normal person.  Most homeless people don't.  I was glad to help her.  I was glad to give her what she wanted.

There are a lot of broken people out there who are much worse off than we are.  Doing something nice for them can only be a good thing.

Mercy always rejoices over judgment.  James 2:13

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a River Cruise to Belgium and the Netherlands March 19-27, 2022. If you are interested in reading about the trip or joining in, the link is below.

click here for the brochure

No comments: