Monday, August 24, 2009

bicycle

As I try to comfort myself, I remember for some reason that one of the first things that made me happy in my life was a bicycle. My mom took me to the Emporium. It was a store like a Sears or Macys, but in San Jose California, they also sold bicycles in 1971.

The bike was a 10 speed. All the rage back then. It was an "Orly" a brand named after a town in France. Someone told me it was made by the Peugeot company. I put on some extra sprockets and had my mom sew letters on my jacket that said, Peugeot-Orly. I was a biker.

Over the next few years I rode that bike everywere. I completely disassembled it several times. That bike was my friend. I could go anywhere, and was for the first time in my life, self sufficient to some degree.

In 1973 I bought a better bike from a bike shop. A Garlatti. It was a nice starter road bike with Campagnolo components. Very swank. I had hit it big in the world of bicycle racers. I got a pass to the velodrome and my friend Mark Flammer and I rode the 15 miles to the velodrome and would spend the day racing. I was elected the president of the bicycle club at school. I won most of our club's road races, not all, but most of them. Once, Mark and I rode 125 miles in one day to Mariposa, California.

After I started college, the golden age of the ten speed was over for me. I had a bike for another ten years, but it never was the same. The freedom and unbridled joy that I had experienced as a biker was overtaken by the responsibilities of life. College, work, marriage and finally children.

Sometimes I wish I could ride again in the Santa Clara County foothills. No worries, no responsibilities, no problems.

I suppose all of us have stories like that of some thing, or some time that seems magical. It is easy to remember something in the past and over romanticize it. I need to remember that this is a pretty magical time too. Even though life is very different, I have so much to give thanks to God for. As do we all.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

H4EO said...

You are up early this morning. The kids were good to hear from in service yesterday, but I missed you anyway. Have a glorious day.

Sharon said...

From one "sad sack" to another, I certainly hope that you do not decide to stop blogging. You have to know that it is theraputic for both you and your "bloggies" (similar to groupies). Many times I have found some comfort in just writing down my feelings--sometimes it is very hard. I get so teared up I can hardly see the computer screen. But some how, once I'm done and I click on "send" or "done" or whatever, I usually feel better.

The toughest time for me is after I've enjoyed a wonderful day/evening with friends or family. I've enjoyed God's world. It's beautiful. Then I come home to mine--an extremely quiet house I share with a fish and a bird. Of course I talk to God and I praise Him for allowing me another day in his world, but we all know it can be tough some days. Reading your blog, spending time on Facebook, e-mailing friends are all forms of communication I can use when I'm alone to keep in contact with people I love and share common interests.
I feel better when I've exchanged thoughts, concerns, funny stories, or whatever. I guess this could sound pathetic, but it gets me through some rough days. We all need each other, but we can't always be right there with one another. The computer is the next best thing. Can you even imagine how lonely a person would have felt in the same situation let's say...40 years ago? Your phone would have been your only outlet to connect with people (aside from actually going out of the house) and if the person you wanted to connect with wasn't within your area code, that meant a long distance call and $$$.
I say, as long as you've got any thoughts in your head at all (you never know how long that will last)keep on blogging.

chigger farmer said...

Such a neat story - please keep blogging if possible!

Anonymous said...

You know it is fun to think back about the way things were. But I am now enyoying the present and have never been sadder or happier. We make choices that can change our life forever and it is how we embrace the change that matters. A choice what made 30 years ago that changed the dynamics of our family, but they have all grown stronger and have learned from the past life lessions. Remember the past but live the present and love deeper from what we have learned.