Saturday, August 1, 2009

vacation

I have been on one this week. A vacation in Florida with my wife and kids. Thank you to Lions Den Man and the Young Shepherd for posting while I was gone.

Amazing things that I have seen this week include: my daughter's excitement over finding a starfish while snorkeling, being caught in a rented boat in the middle of a squall which included lightning and 4 waterspouts. Catching ten fish on a reef bottom fishing trip. Riding a boat on the ocean. Floating at the beach. Watching the little baby clams dig themselves back into the sand.

I watched the Captain of the fishing boat teaching his grandson how to drive the boat in and out of the channel markers. Raising children and mentoring those in your care is a constant opportunity that all of us have.

If vacations are supposed to make you want to go back home and return to work, I am ready. I miss all of you. Remember, you are the captain to someone in your life. Take every opportunity to reach out to them and help them know the way.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I love watching those little clams dig their way back into the sand. And all the pretty colors of those little clams. I was in Florida a few weeks ago and when I'd go to the beach, I'd sit there and just be amazed at what I was seeing--that incredible ocean (Gulf of Mexico), the effect the moon has on it and the incredible life forms that inhabit it...I'm blown away. Something as simple as a shell--it's beginning and then how intricate they can become--just rolling around on the bottom of the ocean. Homes for some very bizarre looking creatures. Wild!

Welcome home--so glad you had an exciting (safe) trip. ; )

Anonymous said...

I think those little creatures you are talking about are Cochina's. At least that is what I was told. Few things revive my soul like the waters of the Gulf, especially at sunset. So glad you got to go....I go again in October! Betty