Saturday, August 22, 2009

off he goes

We just this minute loaded up the truck with Baby Scotty's stuff for college. TV, mini-fridge, baseball glove and cleats, Michael Jordan clock, backpack, books for class, hamper, bed in a bag, laptop. He is travelling a bit lighter than his sister did last week.

He is also taking with him, 18 years, 4 months, and 18 days worth of love and care by his parents. What he said to his dog this morning sums it all up, "dog, you have no idea what is about to happen." We are all gonna miss him.

One of my favorite writers, Anthony Demello, says, "all grief is about you." I am happy for Scott. I am glad that he is going to college, that is what we have always wanted. This grief, yes, it is about me.

God is good, life goes on, and as many of you have told me, they do come back.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. I remember so well that sinking feeling when you send both your first and your last child to college. There is a real sense of loss, particularly with the youngest...empty house syndrome.

What you said is true. Others have told you and I will tell you as well. They do come back...and often with a new sense of appreciation; although that comes with maturity, as well.

It will get better. In the meantime...go dig some weeds. Good therapy for me...and good therapy for you being the garden lover that you are.

Thoughts and prayers are with you,
M.A.

Cara McElhaney said...

I compare this time in your life to my experience with my oldest having her tonsils out at 2 1/2 years old. You watch until they are out of site, and know that until they return, they are in God's hands. There is absolutely nothing you can do but wait and trust! I felt the same way when I saw them drive off in my car for the first time, hoping that I had taught them and instilled in them the tools they needed to survive. Thank You Lord for teaching us how to REALLY learn to trust! Blessings my friend!
Cara