Friday, August 28, 2009

The Thief

I had already written my post for today, yesterday evening. My thoughts on connecting. With Connecting Sunday coming up, it felt like a good timing. Sometimes I love my little quaint thoughts on the gospel.

Then I got home. The neighbors rushed out to greet me. Someone had been inside my house and came out with something wrapped in a jacket. Not my Playstation 3, I thought. It was the first thing I checked. Gone. The police pull up, and I drive off looking for a person fitting the description. Maybe I’m a little filled with anger. Mostly I just want my prized possession back from this… this…

This what?

This thief? I remember reading something about a thief in the gospels. There was a thief next to Jesus on the cross. His heart was changed by the love of Jesus Christ in an instant.

I know another thief, too. The one writing this post. Who am I to write about my weak perception of the gospel in one moment, and abandon the gospel in the next moment when it is no longer convenient?

Let me tell you what I know about this thief. He’s someone who has lost his way. Somehow he became convinced that money and things are going to fill that void in his soul that he feels waking up everyday. And not knowing what he’s doing, he searches for an easy way to fill that void. Oh yes. This thief and I. We are a lot alike. I pray for him today. If you are reading this, you can pray for both of us.

You see. Us church folk really enjoy talking about the gospel. If you’re like me, you may make a lot of really bold statements – aloud or in writing – about what it means to follow Jesus. Then, when the thief strikes our homes, we forget the gospel. What was that twinge that came over my body when I looked at the empty space where my PS3 had been that morning? Hate. I hated my enemy.

But now, because I remember that Christ loved me even though I am a thief and many other things, I love this man. I pray for him, and if he comes back, I will give him the accessories that he did not have time to take. Why would I do something so crazy? Because Jesus was creative so that people would begin to question their fundamental notions about life and their habits. (Also, because I don’t have a “cloak” – Matt. 6:40)

I cannot simply follow Jesus when it is fun. I must learn to follow Jesus when the gospel comes to life in front of my very own eyes. I gladly trade what was my prized possession yesterday morning for the infinitely more valuable love and gentle peace that fills my heart this morning.

With Love,

a young shepherd.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I totally get what you're saying. Recently my daughter and her husband had a theif visit their home. My son-in-law is so full of anger. Sadly, he is not connected to Jesus Christ and therefore, could not even comprehend the idea of forgiving the theif and praying for him. I had to smile at the thought of you getting the needed accessories to the thief. Imagining the expression on his face and the thoughts that might go through his head. First he would obviously think you were crazy. Then, he might think on it more and actually "get it". I'd like to think so. I will definitely say a prayer for the lambs who have lost their way today, "young shepherd".

; )

I also had to smile at the end of your message--until then, I assumed Jeff was writing this and just the thought of him being upset about losing a PS3 was pretty funny.

Anonymous said...

beautiful post young shepherd

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid that I am not as forgiving as you. My home was broken into while I was at church one evening. All my good jewelry was taken, including the ring I had made from my wedding diamonds after my husband died, a diamond ring given to me by my parents when I graduated from high school, a gold cross, and necklace made from my grandmother's wedding diamonds. I'm not a "thing" person, but with such sentimental value I am not finding it in my heart to forgive.

Anonymous said...

One of your best blogs, IMHO. Thanks for holding a mirror in front of my face.

Steve