Friday, August 7, 2009

temptation

"The Lord knows how to deliver the Godly person from trials and temptations." 2 peter 2:9

Are you in trouble? Are you being tempted? When I say tempted, I don't mean that the Devil is attacking you. Remember the Devil is in Afghanistan with Osamma. He is not omnipresent. Only God is omnipresent.

When I say temptation, I mean, "are you being drawn off of the path by your own lusts?" The scripture says, "13When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed." James 1:13-14

Lusts. Do you desire the boat of another person? Their clothes? Their friends? Their income? Their spouse? Their success?

Anytime we covet something that is not ours, anytime that we dwell on such things, we are drawn more increasingly into temptation. Soon if we are not careful, that thing has a hold on us and we are thinking about it way too much. When this happens, our minds are filled with things that we should not be thinking about instead of the things that we should be thinking about. Our walk with God becomes a distant memory as we are consumed with how to drag the latest idol into our lives. Those things cannot fill the emptiness inside. Only God can do this.

Flee from temptation. Draw new boundaries. The Lord knows how to deliver the Godly person, but you have to want to be delivered. Help him help you. Step back from your wants and learn again to want only Him.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In a book I am reading it talks about destructive thought patterns. How much time these thoughts consume. And what would our lives look like if we were totally free from them. Never wasting mental energy, wouldn't we be so much smarter and full of joy.

Christ was like this. He lived in ordinary times and ordinary places, yet he accomplished so much. His mind was focused on his father and His work, not preoccupied with lust or shame or anger and so on. So he was able to have much wisdom and energy.

I waste so much time thinking on the wrong or wasteful things. But when I am focused on Christ, I can feel the difference in my soul and my body.

This chapter in the book ends with a verse from Col. 3:2, "Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth." I just want to remember to keep my mind on God, His beauty, His wisdom and His amazing love for me.

H4EO said...

Jesus talked about what we treasure being where our heats are. The easiest way for me to know what I treasure is to follow what dominates my thoughts. Sadley, the thoughts that invade my conciousness are not what I wish to dedicate my heat to.

Are thoughts that do not infuse Kingdom thinking idolitry that the pofits of old warned against?

Regarding "connection" from yesterday, I pray that my soul does knows more than I allow my head to dwell on. For me, peace is only possible after releasing the worry and fears that invade my thoughts. Ater all, isn't that the root of the bondage that Christ refered to? Thank you master for paying the price.

And thank you Father for the spirit that binds us all together. When we desire to see "souls", then are blessed with special connections.

youngshepherd said...

Someone wise recently reminded me that there is strength in numbers, especially when fleeing temptation. Why try to fight your battles alone when there is a Christian community ready to stand by your side?

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17

I enjoyed this blog.