Thursday, August 13, 2009

what do you do for a living?

The first week of July I went to a family reunion. Our family has not stayed in touch very well, so there was a good deal of catching up to do. In almost any setting, "what do you do for a living" is the most asked question in the world. It was the most asked question at the family reunion. Yet, no one asked me. Why?

They knew I was a preacher and they were afraid that I was going to guilt them or that they were going to end up in a conversation that they were going to regret.
Why did they feel this way? Because some preachers and Christians have made a living at judging others and making people feel guilty. I think Americans are sick of it. I have an article on my desk, waiting to be read entitled, "salvation begins with love, not sin."

Christians are never going to win the world by crushing them. I know you don't do this, and that I am preaching to the choir, but we have to help other Christians understand that treating people in this way just drives them away.

Life is good and God is great. People will be drawn to his love. Let's tell them about his love and grace. What do you do for a living?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen!! Let's go spread the word.