Friday, August 21, 2009

do not judge

Ouch. this hurt.

We bought my wife a used car. An 04 Nissan. The deadline to license it is nearing and I do not have the paperwork from the dealer. It finally comes in the mail on Wednesday. Thursday, I have breakfast with 5 preachers in Blue Springs. I stop by the City Hall in Blue Springs to try and license the car. I wait in the line. I wait and wait. One of the papers from the dealer is wrong so I am rejected. The clerk that is helping me explains their policy for returning patrons. Since you have already stood in the line once, we give you a green paper to serve as a pass. Come to the front of the line and hold up your pass. We will see you and call you up to the window. Everyone will understand, this is how we do it here.

Everyone will understand. Right!

Ok, flash forward. It is now yesterday at 4:30pm and I have the correct paper finally. I go to the City Hall and do exactly as I was told by the clerk. It is the same clerk that helped me earlier in the morning. She tags the car, I thank her and turn to go.

As I pass by the line, a young [35] buff looking dude says, "hey, next time how about you stand in line like everyone else." He is mad. Real mad.

I explained to him, and I did it loudly enough so that others could hear, "Sir, I stood in line this morning as you are now. There was a problem with the paperwork so the clerk gave me a green pass so that when I returned I would not have to stand in line again. I came in, stood where she told me and showed her my pass. I did just what they told me to do. I am sorry that it bothered you." He didn't say a word. Several others behind him, smiled at me, as if to apologize for his angry confrontational manner.

The next time that I see someone "breaking the rules" or parking in a handicap spot when they don't look handicapped to me, I am going to remember this story. There may just be a reason for it all that I am not aware of. I do not want to waste my day being angry at others, especially when I don't really know what is going on.

It is a beautiful day in God's world, even when we stand in line. Be sure to see the good.

No comments: