Tuesday, August 25, 2009

emotions

The cadence of emotions is very interesting. Very fickle. Emotions are kind of like the weather in Missouri. If you don't like it, stick around, pretty soon it will change.

That is why I hesitate to really give voice to sorrow and despair. Now, if you think you have heard the sadness and sorrow and despair coming out of me lately, let me tell you something...... I have been holding back. So, the sorrow that I felt, I felt much more intensely than I let on. Why? Why not let it all out? Because I want to reserve that right for the joy.

Let sorrow be managed, let joy be unbridled. Feeling sad? Hang on, it will change. My son is gone to college, but you are my family. You are my brothers and my sisters. Really. Exactly.

Sometimes out of the greatest moments of pain, come the greatest moments of joy. As the Mama's and the Papa's said, "the darkest hour is just before dawn."

The Psalmist [30] says it this way, Weeping lasts for a night, but joy comes in the morning.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Jeff. We knew you could do it! When people are in a funk, it feels like forever. But nothing is "forever" except heaven.

And we ARE your family. Some of us well get old and die. New ones will be born. But we will never leave you.

RevL said...

Jeff,
I empathize with your situation. I moved my twin sons to college last Saturday...the house is very quiet. It was hard to preach Sunday. Of course, the congregation is very understanding, but sometimes I wish I could get a handle on this new way of living. The family bonds are very strong but we have to find new ways of communicating. I am not a smother/mother but I sure miss them. Transitions are hard. God is good.

Andy B. said...

If the PLD meeting you are attending is too boring, just wait. Lunch is coming soon!

Hee hee.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

When I'm feeling lonely (which is a lot lately) I get comfort from Psalm 13. Verses 1-4 describe how I feel when I'm down, but in verses 5 & 6 God lifts me up to go on.

I pray that you will feel His hands lifting you up.