Monday, July 9, 2007

4:00

That is what the alarm clock read. 4:00am. What do you do with that? I don't have to get up this early, yet I am wide awake.

I take inventory.

I am not worried about anything. I am not unhappy about anything. I am not sick. Everything is fine. In fact, if anything, I am excited about today. Not that anything of note is happening, I am just glad to be alive.

I recognize a sense of peace as I lay in bed. I cannot return to sleep. Coffee sounds good. There is a bag of Hostess chocolate donuts somewhere. I am rolling out.

While getting dressed, the quiet shuffling in the room awakens my sweet wife.

"What are you doing?" she asks.
"I am walking across the room."
"Why?" she asks.
"I am getting up."
"Is everything ok?"
"Yes, everything is ok, go back to sleep."
End of conversation.

So here I am. Coffee, donut, and wondering.....is there something for me to listen to? Did my brain or my soul know that it was time to rise? Is there some message on the line?

It occurs to me that I have some people to pray for. People that are struggling. People that I have not seen for a while. People who are pursuing happiness in ways that are going to bring them pain eventually. I hurt for them. I pray for God to bless them.

I am enjoying a moment in His presence. This is worth getting up early for. No noise, no questions, no problems. Just an opportunity to visit with Lord in the cool of the morning.

In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. Psalm 5:3

It's a beautiful day in God's world, and it has started early. Be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Song of Deborah said...

This is my favorite time of day Pastor. Jesus wakes me up every morning around 4ish just to sit in His awesome presence and adore Him. At first, it seemed a little strange. Now, I wouldn't miss being with Him at 4am for anything.

May the Lord richly bless your heart today.

deb

terry said...

Next time I wake up in the middle of the night.. I am getting up! Maybe God is trying to speak to me. Thank you for opening my eyes to that possibility.. I have been praying about many things and looking for his answer... I am buying some donuts...