Friday, July 27, 2007

Hard Work

Whatever good things I think about my father, whatever bad things I think about him, he taught me how to work.

Over the years I have learned that knowing how to work, applying yourself to work, giving your best to your work is very important. Dad used to say, "make yourself indispensable to the corporation." He also used to say, "never burn your bridges, and whenever possible, never leave a job until you have secured your next opportunity."

I have worked hard to teach this principle to my children. They have not always liked me for doing so. I just know that life has its tough moments and the ability to work hard and create positive relationship at work will keep you afloat while you work on figuring out the rest of life. I have tried to help them understand that if you work hard, everyone will want you to work for them.

Not everyone understands this. Some people feel that they are doing their employer a favor to work for them. They feel that the employer always owes them more. Some people don't share in the company's mission and end up working for a paycheck. Some people always feel that somehow they are being taken advantage of by their employer. The results of such thinking is predictable.

I have had great jobs and I have had lousy jobs. I took each job of my own free will and I gave my very best to it. I have found in my life that applying one's self to the job at hand, brings a real sense of fulfillment.

Not every employment opportunity is a positive one. If you are in such a situation, you may want to move on. But while you are working in that difficult situation, remember that the Bible suggests that we keep in mind the attitude that we work not for man, but for the Lord. If the culture is not positive, do what you can to create and sustain a positive culture.

22Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. 23Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, 24since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Colossians 3:22-24

I found the following quote in a recent Guideposts magazine: "Working hard overcomes a whole lot of other obstacles. You can have unbelievable intelligence, you can have connections, you can have opportunities fall out of the sky. But in the end, hard work is the true endearing characteristic of successful people." Marsha Johnson Evans

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Song of Deborah said...

Amen Pastor!

Deb Spaulding
Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO
www.songofdeborah.com