Thursday, July 5, 2007

I made it!

Today is the day. Happy Birthday to me! 50. Yes that is right, 50 years old, can you believe it?

I have thought about this day for about 6 months. Worry, fear, disappointment, resignation. What are you going to do about it anyway? My son was dogging me a month ago about how old 50 was. I told him, "son, I have a number of friends who never got to see the age of 50. I hope you get to be 50 someday." That was enough perspective for him.

Today, I wake with joy. I am glad to be here, even if I am 50 now. The nifty fifties group from our church threw me a great surprise party on Tuesday. My sneaky wife was an accomplice.

It looks like the 50's will be good for me. In the last few years I have become so much more grateful, so much more thankful, so much more appreciative of life and all of its goodness. Having a near death experience may have helped with that, but I have talked to several folks who tell me that you just appreciate things more as you grow older.

Eye problems, joint problems, fat problems, balding head, I welcome you all, at least now I have a good excuse.

Whatever age you find yourself to be today, be sure to thank God for the gift of life. My mom died at 62. I am glad to be 50. I am glad for today. I am glad for each of you.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Song of Deborah said...

Happy birthday Pastor! My husband Jeff would tell you that 50 is not so bad. Celebrate being 50 years young, as you age toward perfection in Christ Jesus.

It's a great place to be.

Deb Spaulding

Pastor Dave said...

happy birthday, Jeff