Saturday, July 14, 2007

Lead me to the Rock

Your mistakes have piled up. You look at your life and it feels like you have goofed up. I have even learned how to turn good things into troubled things. Time for a do-over.

What do you think at times like these? Where do you go? What can break the yoke of oppression and restore a person's joy?

I remember the words of the Psalmist.

Psalm 61:1-4
Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.

Anyone can see the good when the sun is shining and the skies are clear. We don't ignore or hide our mistakes, but we just don't want to center ourselves on them forever. When we stop focusing on our mistakes and focus instead on God's goodness and grace, then we can still see the good.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Song of Deborah said...

WOW! The Lord was speaking to me about "do-overs" this weekend too, probably because of all the pencil erasers I have used up trying to do math homework. Oh boy.

He is the rock to hold onto. Not like those slippery suckers out on the river covered in seaweed and no place to hold onto. No, sir. The Rock we hold onto a sure and solid foundation. And when we out to Him, He hangs on for dear life. Thank you Jesus for not letting go of us!

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO
www.songofdeborah.com