Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Worry

Do you ever worry? Probably so. Most of us do at one time or another. Sometimes things just come out of nowhere and overnight we have a big concern. I have one now. Can't tell you about it, but it is like a lot of the things that we worry about. It will take care of itself in time.

I am amused at the number of things that we worry about that we shouldn't. Sometimes people come to see me about something they are upset about. Two weeks later, I will ask them how they are doing and they won't know what I am talking about. I have to remind them. Then they say, "Oh, that, yes well, I am over that now, and on to some other challenge." It sure seemed like a big deal to them when they were in my office. We worry too much.

There is great advice in the scriptures regarding worry.

6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

The point is this: we can focus on trouble, or we can focus on God. It is an amazing thing. When I focus on the problem, it seems bigger. When I focus on God, He gets bigger. If you have something on your mind that is eating your lunch, maybe it is time to spend some time in the presence of God.

Its a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Song of Deborah said...

The peace of God is an amazing gift of grace, especially for worriers like me! When we take our eyes off ourselves and start focusing on Him, those things that seem to eat us alive simply fall away. He is awesome!

Have a wonderful, worry-free day, pastor.

deb