Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Persistence

Pets are great. Dogs, birds, fish, turtles, lizards. Then there are cats. I think that most people that have cats at least occasionally wonder why. Listen to them talk.....the cats were always the idea of someone else in the house.

We have two. Great. One is Jenny's the other is Alli's. Jenny's is a tomcat named Tyler. He is a nice cat who will sit on your lap and plays with cat toys. Alli's cat is a whiny, nerdy, strangely shaped cat that she named Princess KiKi. The cats have come to be known as Tyler and "the fat cat."

Well, the fat cat is annoying. When she decides that it is time to wake up, she will come to your door and paw on it. Once, twice, and then hundreds of paws in succession pounding on the door. It could be 4am, 5am, 6am, it doesn't matter. In her mind, she has been alone long enough and she will not quit until you get up and go make a pot of coffee. She wakes me up on a regular basis. She doesn't care if you have to go to work or not. It's all about her.

Eventually, no matter how tired I am, she eventually wins. I get up and get cleaned up and make a pot of coffee and scratch her on her head.

There is something to be said for persistence. For the characteristic that causes a person to keep coming back. To never give up. Any number of things will come against you in your daily walk. Any number of events, attitudes, or people will challenge your ability to stick with something important. Successful people persevere. They don't get upset when something difficult happens and they don't quit. Successful people expect challenges. They even welcome them. They greet them. They say "hello, I am about to show you what I am made of."

They stay with the program. They persevere.

There may be no better feeling that to have faced a challenge and overcome. To have a problem and not get upset. To see the clouds and be ready for the rain. To have a tough day, but keep a good attitude. Persistence is a good thing.

Does anybody want a cat? Free to a good home.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

InkyLynne said...

Now that is how you capture my interest - CATS!!! I have 5 of them; one who sleeps on my head every night, one who gets up on her hind legs and begs for treats, one who likes to meow on conference calls, one that likes to nurse on my blanket, and last but not least, the one who meows silently. 3 boys, 2 girls. Since I got divorced and started working from home, their love and companionship have become even more important to me. Cats love you whether you look good or not; they seem even more loving when you are sad or sick. I can't even describe the comfort I have found in holding my cats and feeling their fur against my cheek as I cried with them. I used to think my cat's love was unconditional, but it's not, it's dependent on food, a clean kitty litter, my being home to pay attention to them. If those conditions are not met they can have some pretty bad behaviors. Unconditional love is what God offers each one of us. I haven't always known that, I thought my cats were the best I could do. Thank you for helping me to know differently.

Song of Deborah said...

No one is going to take your cat, Pastor. The princess is helping you get up everyday to praise the Lord. Hmmm. It's the stuff you are made of, and she is helping you fulfill your call.

It's not over until the fat cat scratches! Whew hew! He speaks, even through the Garfields in our life. Thank you Jesus!

deb