Saturday, July 7, 2007

a holy place

Well, I had another wedding today. There is one about every week at the church. I'll bet we do 40 or more per year. It's great for the bride and groom, but it can be a drain on your family life to be gone every Friday and Saturday night during wedding season. This year, I have tried to limit my wedding participation to 12. One per month. Already looks like I will end the year somewhere between 15 and 20. I am very thankful for every staff person and retired pastor that has been able to help with these. Side bar comments about weddings now over.

I had a wedding today. It was great.! The bride and groom love each other, and Joy Mc sang "At Last...." It was wonderful. Occasionally weddings can be difficult or sad if it is a "have to" wedding or if the couple doesn't love each other. Today, like most, was great. I have the great privilege of standing next to two people as they pledge their love and faith each to the other. It is like being in the center of deep love. It is a very special thing to be a part of. It is very touching. Sometimes I cry, even when the bride and groom don't.

I take this moment to say a word to those of you who are married. Remember back to how your love began. Rekindle those special moments. Celebrate the good. Almost all marriages start out well, its the maintenance along the way that isn't always kept up.

Remember. Appreciate. Give thanks. Say I love you.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Song of Deborah said...

Jeff officiated at a wedding on Saturday at Faith Church too, and it was beautiful. It seems like we have a wedding nearly every weekend during the summer months, and between all the premarital counseling and the Friday evening rehearsals/Saturday weddings, it can be very tiring. Still, I cry at each and every one of them. I'm a soppy mess - I guess I make a good preacher's wife.

Blessings to you Pastor, for taking the time to unite couples in holy matrimony every weekend.

deb