Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Famous People

Over the years I have come to know a few people who are famous. Really they are just a little bit famous, but famous none the less. I am having lunch with such a person today.

It is a funny feeling to know someone that everyone fawns over. Several of these folks I have had the opportunity to get to know and they are just like everybody else. One of my friends I have known a long time, since we were both young men. I have watched what has happened in his life, and I am happy for him.

I don't like the way some folks dote over people like this. I don't think that they like it either. I think most of them just want to be treated like a person. What has happened to them in their life has actually brought them a lot of difficulty as well as attention.

I don't covet their schedule, the pressure that is put on them, their problems, or their money.

Imagine if you won the lottery. Suddenly no one likes you because you are you. It is all about your money and how you can help them. Everyone has their hand out.

So, while I am happy for them, I am totally content just being me. In fact, I like blending into a crowd. I enjoy being one of the guys.

The apostle Paul said,
"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13

So, whether you have a lot or whether you have a little, it is good. You are good. You don't have to be someone else, you can be you. You are good. Life is good. We find our joy and our strength and our purpose in knowing Jesus Christ.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Song of Deborah said...

I like this post Pastor. It speaks on many levels. Thank you for reminding us that every person is important and valued in God's eyes.

I feel special! That's a nice gift.

Deb Spaulding
Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO
www.songofdeborah.com