Monday, October 18, 2021

Rethinking Christianity Part 2

More from Martin Thielen. See yesterday's post.
[I have inserted a few comments in italics]

Although critiquing and rejecting unhealthy faith (often called “deconstruction”) is an important part of rethinking Christianity, it’s only part of the task. In order to create authentic faith for today’s world, it’s crucial that we affirm the essential foundations of Christianity. Of course, that begs the question, What is essential?  My short and simple answer is Jesus.

The centrality of Jesus. When I served as a pastor in Honolulu, Hawaii, a Jewish man regularly attended my congregation. One day he said, “Pastor, I enjoy coming to your church. But is all that talk about Jesus really necessary?” I said, “Well, we are a Christian church, and Jesus sort of goes with the territory.” We both laughed, and he said, “I guess you have a point there.” The essential, non-negotiable core of Christianity is Jesus. Therefore, authentic faith in the twenty-first century must be Jesus-centric.

The story of Jesus. Several years ago, I visited a sanctuary full of stained-glass windows depicting the story of Jesus from birth to resurrection. It deeply moved me, bringing me to tears. I realized again that the Jesus story is the heartbeat of the Christian faith and the defining story of my life. The stories of Jesus, regardless of their precise historical accuracy, provide us direction, meaning, purpose, and hope. In the midst of all our complex theological deconstruction and reconstruction efforts, it’s imperative that we keep the Jesus narrative at the heart of our faith.

The teachings of Jesus. In spite of popular opinion, Christianity is not primarily (or even secondarily) about doctrinal beliefs. The Apostles’ and Nicene creeds and other theological affirmations are not the point. Neither is sustaining the institutional church. Instead, at its core, the Christian faith is about following Jesus. That includes living out the ethics of Jesus, incorporating the values of Jesus, following the teachings of Jesus, emulating the spirit of Jesus, and engaging in the practices of Jesus. In short, it means living a life of love.

The mission of Jesus. Jesus’s mission was not to start a new religion, encourage people to accept him as “their personal Lord and Savior,” get people to worship him, or to build a religious institution. Instead, Jesus’s mission was to promote love of God and neighbor and advance the kingdom of God “on earth as it is in heaven.” Therefore, modern believers and faith communities must engage in kingdom-building endeavors including earth care, ending systemic racism, and seeking justice.

I am for earth care, I am against racism, and I believe in justice, but I [Jeff] believe that if we show love and live a life of love, all of that will follow naturally.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to be the good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a River Cruise to Belgium and the Netherlands March 19-27, 2022.  If you are interested in reading about the trip or joining in, the link is below.

http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/files/uploads/RC22_031922T_TulipTime_002_FINAL-1.pdf

Click here for the brochure

No comments: