Thursday, December 16, 2021

Chuck

On Tuesday I attended the memorial service for my friend Chuck McClamrock.

Chuck came to Kansas City for a job. He met Joy and fell head over heels. He fell hard. Who wouldn’t? Ever since we’ve known Chuck it’s been “Chuck and Joy.” They were in church every Sunday, they sat right over there on the aisle by the old testament window. Chuck had that delightful southern personality. He had a great smile and could be very funny. He nicknamed one of his grandkids “Rattlesnake.” He took his granddaughter Abby for breakfast every time he came to town and saw her.

Chuck coached the Buzzards softball team back when we had 10 teams. Major Hammet and Chuck Stark played on that team as well as others. Chuck and I spent many nights sitting at Kim and Bruce Letner‘s table laughing, telling stories and drinking bourbon. Chuck had good friends in Evan Williams, Jim Beam and George Dickel.

Chuck had that deep southern drawl. Whenever I was around him and he was talking to other people I would repeat what he said and people would look at me and I would explain to them that I was interpreting for him. I loved Chuck. I'm going to miss Chuck. Chuck loved to tell the story about how his mother was the longtime secretary to the district superintendent of one of the district areas in North Carolina. He was a lifelong Methodist. They don’t come any better than Chuck. I’m gonna miss him.

Such a good man.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a River Cruise to Belgium and the Netherlands March 19-27, 2022. If you are interested in reading about the trip or joining in, the link is below.

click here for the brochure


No comments: