Thursday, December 2, 2021

Praying for others

My friend Joyce is evidently comfortable praying for complete strangers. I love that and sometimes I wish I was so bold. She sent in this story.

Sometimes a friend or an acquaintance will ask you to pray for them. We have the best of intentions to remember to take their concern to God during our prayer time. Several years ago, I read that when we are asked to pray for someone that we might do it right then. Isn't that really the best way?

Recently while waiting in two different pharmacies, two different days, I noticed two different women who were awaiting prescriptions for pain medication to be filled. The first woman was trying to explain her need. Although I was 10 feet away I could not help but overhear. I felt led to ask if she would like me to pray with her re: her scheduled hip surgery. Her face relaxed as she came nearer and affirmed my offer and added her prayer after mine. A little later as I was leaving she enthusiastically introduced me to her son who was her involved caregiver.

A few days later while awaiting my turn for the flu shot, I noticed a woman rocking in what I recognized as pain. Again I felt prompted to offer to pray for her. She shared that following many weeks of pain, physicians and tests had still not revealed the source.

Praise God and the prompting of the Holy Spirit that I was blessed to show love to two strangers. Even if a person might rebuff your offer, you can still pray for them silently as you go on with your day.


I would add to what Joyce wrote: when you are driving and you pass a wreck, pray for them. When you hear an ambulance, pray for them. Prayer is good for them, and prayer is good for us too. It puts us in a positive frame of mind. It reminds us that we are all in this together.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a River Cruise to Belgium and the Netherlands March 19-27, 2022. If you are interested in reading about the trip or joining in, the link is below.

click here for the brochure


No comments: