Friday, December 31, 2021

They monkey and the coconut

I was sad. Someone called me on it. They said, "Jeff, you look sad."   Well, I was sad.

Sometimes things happen that make us sad. But then I realized I can get glad too.  I can be sad, I can be glad.  My choice.

Difficult, hurtful things are sure to come. They will usually drag us down for a bit. But we have a choice to make. We can stay sad or we can get glad.

Anthony DeMello tells the story of the monkey in the coconut tree.  A man is walking by and the monkey throws a coconut at him, striking him in the head.  The man picks up the coconut, cuts it open, drinks the milk, eats the coconut flesh, feels satisfied, and goes on his way.

Note, the man could complain about the pain to his head.  He could be upset with the monkey's intrusion or attack.  But he chooses to do something different.

He takes the hit and sees the good.  A coconut to the head we all get from time to time.  Don't get stuck there.  See the situation.  Drink the milk, enjoy the rest of the coconut and go on your way.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, if we choose to see it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a River Cruise to Belgium and the Netherlands March 19-27, 2022. If you are interested in reading about the trip or joining in, the link is below.

click here for the brochure

No comments: