Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Can we be honest with ourselves?

When I was a child, we were poor.  The discipline delivered by my mother would be considered abuse today.  I have so many tough stories about my upbringing that I have never told.

Having said that, I had it better than many.  I, as most readers, grew up privileged.  Now if that offends you, consider this...

We always had clean drinking water.
There was always a toilet.
My parents stayed married.
I knew who my Dad was.
I learned to read.
I did not have to be taught to be afraid of the police.
I have a college degree.
My parents paid for my college.
On an on it goes.

I have spent most of my life enjoying these benefits without ever considering how the other half lived, or why they lived that way.  I even spent most of my life wondering why homeless people did not just "get a job."  I spent a number of years thinking that people without privilege should just work harder.

We would love to keep the wool pulled over our eyes, but if we look hard enough, we know

It’s not knowledge that we lack. If we really pause and look at what’s going in this world, we will see that it has gone on for hundreds of years. We don’t lack knowledge, we know what’s been going on.

Injustice, unfairness, and prejudice has been all around us for years.  My town of Vero Beach has an area that was platted out when the town was planned... an area for the African Americans to live.  It is called "Gifford."  Vero is not the only town with such a story.

It’s not knowledge that we lack, it is compassion that we lack. We have an inability to see how we’ve been a part of the problem. We refuse to see that we have hurt others by excluding them and sticking with our own kind.

When we really look and see ALL people as people, then we can begin to create a healthy future, a safe future for everyone. We can create a world where everyone is valued.

The person at the Burger King window.
The man making your burrito at Chipotle.
The guy putting on your tires at NTB or Firestone.
The man on the corner with the sign.

In Jesus’ parable of the great banquet, the wealthy, the important, those who are on top, all have excuses not to attend. One bought a cow, one got married, they all had excuses.  Those who end up at the banquet are the least of these. Maybe we should welcome the least of these. Maybe we should throw a party for them. Maybe we should work to help them feel loved and valued.

They are not less than us. They deserve the same kindness and care that we want for ourselves.

If this is a hard read for you, it is for me as well.  But love happens with compassion increases.  Let's take the blinders off.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a River Cruise to Belgium and the Netherlands March 19-27, 2022. If you are interested in reading about the trip or joining in, the link is below.

click here for the brochure


No comments: